Sunday, September 7, 2014

Rebuilding a W5M33 AWD Manual Transmission, Part 1

Finding a Project Car

When I was looking in the classifieds for a car with AWD and a manual transmission, I saw a 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD available for $2000. The reason for the $2000 price tag was the transmission. He was driving on the freeway and the car started vibrating. He took it to a shop and they said there were metal fragments in the gear oil.

My daughter was looking for a car at the same time, so I thought if she bought it, I could rebuild the transmission for her. I paid a mechanic friend to trailer it home. The transmission worked in every gear, so we drove it onto the trailer and parked it in my garage.

I looked for months for a transmission to come up on ebay, or the local classifieds. This was taking too long, so we just traded cars. Don't worry. She came out on the better end of the deal with a nice 2001 Outback with a manual transmission and AWD.

Rant about jack placement on unibody cars

Ok, can we please learn that we don't put the jack on what looks like a frame rail on unibody cars? That's not a frame rail, and if you try to lift up the car with the jack on that part, it will bend the body. Here are some pictures of the damage.




Initial Assessment

I found that when I jacked the car up, if I raised the passenger side, gear oil would drain out the driver's side. The driver's side seal was dislodged. The gear oil was black like it was burnt. There were fine aluminum fragments in the oil that made it look like metal flake paint. Removing the transmission was more difficult than average, but not as bad as a Taurus. Once I figured out how to get the transfer case off, the transmission could separate from the engine.



After I got the transmission out, I saw the reason the seal was dislodged. The output bearing on the front differential was destroyed. The front differential was also broken. The cost for the front differential case alone is about $290. The rebuild kit is $350.

I'm into this transmission about $950 in parts alone. A new transmission is about $2500 from the dealer.

As a core, this transmission would have very little value. If I was a professional rebuilder, I probably wouldn't re-use this case. But it looks like I'll be able to re-use this one. 

Disassembly

Disassembling the transmission

The gear oil was blackened and had fine aluminum flakes and steel fragments.

Transmission with cover removed
Transmission numbers. This one is a W5M33 late model AWD with a 57 tooth differential gear.


Is this a junk yard transmission? Nope. The VIN matches the car.

Removed viscous coupling
At this point, I was stuck. I couldn't figure out why the transmission wouldn't separate until I read about a bolt in the side holding a gear. Once I removed that bolt, I was able to separate the transmission and inspect for damage.




Here's what I found.

  • The front differential case was broken.
  • Both output bearings on the front differential were bad.
  • The speedometer gear was shredded. 
  • The case had damage because the differential wasn't being held in place by the bearings.
  • The magnet and magnet holder were missing. 
It appears that this was a hastily rebuilt transmission. 

Case damage and damaged speedometer gear. Bearing race still there. To remove the race, I got the center race from the other output bearing and put six ball bearings in, and spread them out. Then I was able to put it on my press and easily press out the race.
Showing more case damage under the 1-2 gear assembly. The magnet and magnet holder were missing.
First-Second Gear Assembly, Disassembled. Note the three-piece synchronizer for second gear.
To disassemble the gear assembly, I couldn't have done it without my press and large bearing separator from Harbor Freight.


To disassemble the differential, I had to drill out the back side of the pin holding the shaft because it wouldn't budge. Once I did that, I could press the pin out. Since the differential case wasn't going to be re-used, it didn't matter if I damaged the case further.
Front differential internal parts. Notice the pin next to the shaft has been drilled. I still need to smooth and polish the concave washers on the bottom left, or get new ones.

Rebuilding

I used a press and a bearing remover to disassemble the first-second gear assembly (after removing the lock ring). I cleaned off all the parts in solvent.

By the way, coconut oil is wonderful on solvent burns. I double-gloved, but got a hole through both and didn't realize it. My pinky finger got a little red. It was fine the next day. Hey, don't underestimate the power of prayer in gaining inspiration on what to do.

I polished the journal surface with 2000 grit sandpaper. I put new synchronizers in and new bearings on. The new races will be installed in the case.
When I tried to put the parts in the front differential, the gears wouldn't fit. At this point, I thought I had the wrong case. The part is non-returnable. Here I am, stuck with a $290 wrong part, I thought. At this point, I got frustrated and discouraged more than usual. But read on.

Here are some pictures comparing the two differential cases:
Broken front differential case, left. Right: MD770937


I used a die grinder to try to help get the pin out. I ended up drilling the pin from this side.




After looking around, I found that I got ripped off on the case (sorry Mitsubishi). It was $286.90 from the Mitsubishi dealer, but the exact same part number was $156.80 at tascaparts.com.
Or $161 at dodgepart
Or $168 from ordermopar.com.
Or $170.80 from moparpartsstore.
Or  from $229.52 from discountmitsubishiparts.

Without a VIN (I didn't want to go home to get it), the Mitsubishi dealer wasn't sure he was looking up the right part. So I checked the classifieds and found two 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo AWD cars, both with manual transmissions. Those cars have VINs like 4A3AL54F8VE011111, (where only the last five digits were different between the two cars.).

So I had the dealer look up the VIN from the Turbo AWD 5-speed Eclipse and indeed, the MD770937 was the correct part for the turbo AWD. My transmission was definitely an AWD model, so it looks like somebody put the wrong differential in.

For front wheel drive models, it looks like the differential case number is MD746800, and is available at discountmitsubishiparts for $247.58.

Could the wrong differential case have contributed to the failure? Maybe.
Could the lack of a magnet have caused the failure? Probably.
Could the failure have been caused by abuse like dumping the clutch at 5000 RPMS to try and spin the wheels? It has happened before on these cars.
Could the failure have been caused by lack of oil? Possibly, but only if the garage the previous owner took it to had added oil. It was full of nasty black oil with aluminum and other metal in it when I got it.

Now that I think I have all the correct parts, I'll continue this adventure in a future post.

Here's the parts list so far:

MR954819 spacer set for the differential - $37.28
MN178199 pin for diff  - $4.15
MD748538 differential gear kit - $170.42
MN178197 differential washers - $4.71
MD731948 nut - two @ $8.92 each
MD770937 differential case - $286.90
MD741725 oil guide - $6.60
MD955485 magnet - $2.60
MD727258 magnet holder - $2.55
MD749150 speedometer gear - $16.00
MR983368 transfer case output seal - $8.60
MD731793 transfer case input seal - $8.39
BK361BWS rebuild kit - about $350

Update Jan 10, 2022

I'm back on it. I took a long break on this project. I cleaned up the transmission in my parts washer and found that it was put it together with clear household silicon. 

Part 2

Check out my video for part 2 on YouTube: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj8xCEH4r6g

9 comments:

  1. Was there ever a part 2 on this rebuild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a part 2! See my YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj8xCEH4r6g

      Delete
  2. Sorry to keep you all hanging. I've had to put this project on the back burner for a while, but now I'm needing to get this car back on the road, so I'm working on it again. I'll post part two after I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of oil did/will you put into the transmission and the differentials?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spec is GL4 75W90. I'll probably just use Valvoline synthetic.

      Delete
  4. There are three differentials in All-Wheel-Drive cars from mitsubishi: Front, Center, and Rear. In your posts you are talking about the center differential while showing pictures of the front differential. Get your terminology right. Also I am a good resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alex. Thanks for letting me know. I'll make the corrections.

      Delete
  5. As you have discovered, the AWD trans for the Talon/Eclipse/Laser cars are hard to find, since they were the least produced version (most expensive). There are a number of forums for the DSM's (Diamond Star Motors), with their own classifieds sections, and tech/help areas.
    Another potential assist is Row52.com, which is a junkyard listing by specific models. They cover a lot of yards, and each vehicle listing normally has photo, description, and VIN. You can get notification of vehicles arriving in yards.
    In addition, you can search different Craigslist areas for ads, by changing the city location. For instance, if you search the SF Bay Area, you can see ads from Sacramento to Monterey.

    I'm in the process of swapping a trans in my 1G ('90-'94) Talon AWD, which is how I found your site. Performance sports cars were not selling well in the mid 90's, and this killed the DSM market. IIRC, there were less than 6k Talons sold in '97, and about 4k in '98, the last year. I think '96 was the last year for the Mazda RX-7, due to similar numbers sold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The article share interesting tips transmission holding fixture for engine stand. I like this information as it is useful for me as I am just looking for such information.

    ReplyDelete