Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Ford P1443

I had the code P1443 come up on my 1996 Thunderbird way back in 2003 or 2004. I replaced the evap canister purge flow sensor. The problem went away for nearly 200k miles. Now it's my daughter's car and the same code came up. So I measured the resistance between the power and ground pin. It was between 500k ohms to 1.5M ohms, different each time I measured it. The replacement part measured 96 or 97 ohms. Bingo! The old sensor had failed.

The sensor is located on the passenger side under the headlight. I got to it from underneath. It was kind of tight getting in there, but not so tight that I had to take anything apart to get to it.

Here's the wiring diagram for the plug. I got it from this website.


Here's a picture of the replacement part, CP509. The funny thing is, the local auto parts store had it in stock, but their online catalog didn't have it listed. You could find the Thunderbird under the compatibility tab, but you couldn't look it up in the catalog.

The pin on the left in this picture is the ground pin. The top right is the power, and the bottom right is the output voltage.

No comments:

Post a Comment