Sunday, December 8, 2013

Fixing a screw in the tire

Back toward the end of August, I noticed that my tire was getting low, so I put air in it. A few days later, I had to add air again. So I checked for leaks and found a screw in the tire.
Since it was small, I figured I'd try the same thing I tried before when I got a staple in the tire - RTV. This was three months ago when I did this repair. The tire still had plenty of life in it. In fact, I found the tires on the classifieds, so there was no road hazard warranty of any kind.

<legalese> In case you haven't figured it out yet, this is for informational or entertainment purposes only, and I can't be held responsible for what happens if you try this. </legalese>

But anyway, I've been riding on this repaired tire for the last three months and haven't had to add air yet. I just checked the pressure and it's still at 40 psi. (With this car and tire size, 40psi gives great wear and performance.)

So here's how I did it.
1. Jack up car so the tire is off the ground. (Support with jack stand. Okay, maybe I skipped the jack stand this time since I wasn't under the car, but they're great for safety.)
2. Remove screw.
3. Let all air pressure out of the tire.
4. Cram RTV into the hole.
5. Let it sit over night.
6. Pump up the tire.
7. The rest is self-explanatory . . . something about putting the car back on the ground.


3 comments:

  1. John, I would love to subscribe to your blog, but I couldn't get the "subscribe to" place at the bottom to work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up! I added a widget on the right to subscribe. Hopefully that works. I'm still new to this blogging thing.

      Delete
  2. I've done this three times. The third time, it didn't work. The reason was that the RTV didn't go all the way through to the inside, so there was still a way for air to leak out.

    ReplyDelete