Monday, September 18, 2017

What's That Scraping Noise?

After replacing the shocks, I heard a new scraping noise while driving. I'll show you the picture in a minute. 

Since replacing the shocks is pretty easy, it wasn't a blog-worthy project, so I didn't take any pictures. One thing I found wrong was that the front shock top mounts were loose. Maybe that contributed to the shake. I also have a wheel that needs to be balanced, but the new shocks make it ride better.

After installing the shocks, I drove to the corner gas station to fuel up. I was headed to a family get-together about 45 minutes away. After pulling out of the gas station, I rolled down the windows and heard a scraping sound. It wasn't loud, but that noise wasn't there before I changed the shocks. I figured I had better take a look under there and see if I can see what it was. 

I actually debated whether or not I should stop and check, or just keep going. It's a good thing I stopped. 


So I was using a wrench to hold another wrench from getting jammed in the spring while I loosened the rusted bolts on the top of the shocks. It kept dropping, so I'd grab another wrench on the ground and use it. I must have missed the fact that that wrench didn't hit the ground. I also don't have a dedicated place for that wrench since it's not in a set. So that's why I missed it when I put the tools away. 

It's kind of like life. You can see if you can fix those small annoyances, or you can ignore them and risk them turning into much bigger problems. 


No comments:

Post a Comment